Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Step Up: Revolution [Movie Review]

http://www.filmofilia.com/step-up-revolution-trailer-and-poster-96316/


Source: ClevverTV
"Emily (Kathryn McCormick) arrives in Miami with aspirations to become a professional dancer. She sparks with Sean (Ryan Guzman), the leader of a dance crew whose neighborhood is threatened by Emily's father's (Peter Gallagher) development plans."
Cast: Ryan Guzman, Kathryn McCormick, Stephen Boss, Misha Gabriel, Cleopatra Coleman, Peter Gallagher
Director: Scott Speer

Source: IMDb

Review:
At first, I thought I would have a hard time catching up with the story flow because I haven't watched the previous films. After a few minutes of watching, I found the story typical and predictable. However, based on the movie clips and reviews I checked about the previous ones, Step Up: Revolution is by far the best. The fourth installment incorporated economic aspects and Kathryn McCormick's addition to the cast added class to the street-style, hip-hop dance of The Mob.

https://www.facebook.com/StepUpMovie

As I said earlier, I found the story typical and predictable. No complexity in the plot whatsoever. They fight for their home, they want to win the YouTube contest and that's all. Sean and Emily's romance, though they look good together, was set aside for the dance scenes. I have no problem with the dance scenes because this is a musical movie but I think some aspects of the movie like the dialogues, acting, and plot were taken lightly because of the dances.

https://www.facebook.com/StepUpMovie

On a positive side, hands down to the dance routines. Everything was spectacular, from the choreography to the effects to the ideas behind every Mob mission. The Art Gallery Flash Mob was the best for me. The choreography was a combination of acrobatic moves, modern hip-hop, and contemporary ballet. The audience can't help but be in awe especially when the first Mob member, camouflaged with the painting, started to dance.

https://www.facebook.com/StepUpMovie

So all in all, apart from the typical story and poorly made dialogue between the casts, everything else was awesome. i wish I could have seen the movie in 3D. I heard that it was filmed really well, not blurry or fuzzy. Plus you can feel the intensity of the dance routines in 3D real great (feeling like you're also a part of the crowd watching the Mob, with sand and water splashing, and in the case of the Office Flash mob, dollars being thrown at you).

http://www.mtv.com/photos/step-up-revolution-exclusive-photos/1686687/7219987/photo.jhtml

I think I'm one of the people who watched this movie because of the dance routines. Luckily the Mob scenes took 70% of the movie's running time. Some critics voiced a wish for a no-story 90-minute music video for the next installment which I think is, though not really impossible but an impractical move.

No comments:

Post a Comment